SEED Ventures holds a Capital Markets Services (CMS) for Venture Capital Fund Management (VCFM) from the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS). Its funds are sourced from accredited and institutional investors.
Our investment ethos
First the Match, then the Business.
1. Match the Market.
- Businesses must solve a great frustration or meet a great demand. Over and above it all, the business concept should not be so novel such that the cost of educating the customer is very high. Marketing is expensive! Unless backed by a solid proof-of-concept, small businesses should never try to educate the market.
- Beating the alternative. Ask the question: would my investor choose my product over a competing product? Would he or she rather do the work himself or herself rather than to engage my services?
2. Match with SV.
- A pitch should be an enriching event, not be a humbling one. In our early days, we were most affected by VCs that were rude and cocky. They did not give constructive feedback. One even had his intern interview us! VCs who do not bother will not mentor.
3. Business is a great equaliser.
- Sales cures all and nothing matters but your will to succeed.
COMPANY ORGANISATIONAL CHART
Area of Expertise: Startups & Venture Capital Investments
Mr Ian Gan is Group CEO of SEED Ventures (SV) and founder/owner of Smaths Ventures Holdings Pte Ltd, the parent company of SV. He is actively involved as business-competition judge, startup mentor and adjunct lecturer in local and foreign universities such as NUS, SG-MIT and INSEAD. He was appointed Business Mentor (Tech Commercialisation) in A*STAR in 2018 and National Tsing Hua University in 2020.
Area of Expertise: Wealth Management
Ms Lynn Lin is Founder and CEO of REED Capital Partners, an independent asset management firm based in Singapore and registered with the Monetary Authority of Singapore. She has more than 13 years of experience in wealth management and was formerly with United Overseas Bank Private Bank. She was also awarded the UOB-NUS executive certificate in wealth management.
Area of Expertise: Retail, F&B & Logistics
Ms Elim Chew is Founder of local iconic street-fashion brand "77th Street" and Chairman of Kingdom Food Group, a chain of Korean and Japanese restaurants. Amongst her long list of business accomplishments and accolades, she was twice honoured as a Forbes' Asia Hero of Philanthropy, and also a recipient of the Singapore Public Service Medal (PBM) in 2011.
Area of Expertise: Corporate Finance and Investments
Mr Joseph Kwok is a seasoned financial services professional with more than 20 years of experience advising public listed companies in SG and the greater China region where he served as Chairperson of audit committees. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Banking & Finance (IBF) and also Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS).
Area of Expertise: Legal and Fintech/Insurtech
Mr Arijit Chakraborty has over 15 years of extensive experience in business, strategy, legal & governance roles. He is an ex-Temasek M&A lawyer and ex-General Counsel for insurance MNCs like Manulife and Zurich. He is currently APAC head of a global insurtech company and advisor to multiple Startups. Arijit was recognised as Top 40 Lawyers under 40 in Asia by Asian Legal Business.
partners & Associate Partners
Ter Wei Zhi
Head of Operations
Partner, Business Development
Partner, Partnerships and Business Development
Partner, Business Development
Aow Jia Rong