SEED Ventures holds a Capital Markets Services (CMS) for Venture Capital Fund Management (VCFM) from the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS). Its funds are sourced from accredited and institutional investors.
Our investment ethos
First the Match, then the Business.
1. Match the Market.
- Businesses must solve a great frustration or meet a great demand. Over and above it all, the business concept should not be so novel such that the cost of educating the customer is very high. Marketing is expensive! Unless backed by a solid proof-of-concept, small businesses should never try to educate the market.
- Beating the alternative. Ask the question: would my investor choose my product over a competing product? Would he or she rather do the work himself or herself rather than to engage my services?
2. Match with SV.
- A pitch should be an enriching event, not be a humbling one. In our early days, we were most affected by VCs that were rude and cocky. They did not give constructive feedback. One even had his intern interview us! VCs who do not bother will not mentor.
- Feedback will be provided. Out of respect for the effort they invested into preparing for the pitch, we promise to mull over each pitch carefully and systematically. A written feedback will be sent out to highlight what salient pointers stood out. The hope is this feedback will go some way to improve their pitch.
3. Business is a great equaliser.
- Sales cures all and nothing matters but your will to succeed.
Area of Expertise: Venture Capital Investments
Mr Ian Gan is CEO of SEED Ventures (SV) and also founder/owner of Smaths Ventures Holdings Pte Ltd, the parent company of SV. He is actively involved as business-competition judge, startup mentor and adjunct lecturer in local and foreign universities such as NUS, SG-MIT and INSEAD. He has been serving as Business Mentor (Tech Commercialisation) in A*STAR since 2018 and National Tsing Hua University in 2020.
Area of Expertise: Retail, F&B & Logistics
Ms Elim Chew is Founder of local iconic street-fashion brand "77th Street" and Chairman of Kingdom Food Group, a chain of Korean restaurants. Amongst her long list of business accomplishments and accolades, she was twice honoured as a Forbes' Asia Hero of Philanthropy, and also a recipient of the Singapore Public Service Medal (PBM) in 2011.
partners & Associate Partners
Ter Wei Zhi
Head of Operations
Business Development Partner (schools)
Assoc. Business Development Partner
Aow Jia Rong
Associate Partner (Technology)
Amazon Web Services
- Official Technology partner
Smaths Corporate Services
- Corporate Services, Accounting, Operations and more.
- Spring Singapore Human Resource Shared-Services (HRSS) Service Provider.